In the modern age, more and more Wiccans have turned to the Internet as a way of gaining knowledge and connecting with other Witches. While the Internet is a wonderful resource when searching for general information such as the meanings of colors for candles or recipes for incense and oil blends, one area in which I do not recommend its use is in finding spells.
In the beginning when I first began to explore Wicca I looked everywhere for spells, convinced I would not be able to find the words to form spells of my own, or that if I did manage to write a spell it would sound silly. I pulled various spells for love, protection, even money off the Internet, and said them in a hushed voice. I could not seem to put strength behind my words and it just felt...wrong.
Since that naive experience I have come to realize the reason I felt odd using someone else's spell. It was not mine, and so lacked my personal power. Any spell found to be lacking in this will be ineffective. As a result, I much prefer writing my own spells and rituals to using those written by others. I would however recommend using the internet to thoroughly research about rituals and typical customs before trying to write them, and in the case of a spell, for any dieties you might wish to invoke or phrasing that may assist you better in acheiving the desired effect.
For those that are concerned at their ability, or lack thereof, to write rituals and spells, I believe that every one of us has the potential to be good at this. Part of Wicca is being able to form personal and open relationships with the God and the Goddess, and speaking to them from your heart, or in your own words, is one of the best ways to accomplish this. Best of luck. It will take time to get comfortable writing these types of things if you are not a writer or anything normally, but if you trust in yourself and in the God and Goddess, the right words will come.
Blessed be.
Misha Coplon
In the beginning when I first began to explore Wicca I looked everywhere for spells, convinced I would not be able to find the words to form spells of my own, or that if I did manage to write a spell it would sound silly. I pulled various spells for love, protection, even money off the Internet, and said them in a hushed voice. I could not seem to put strength behind my words and it just felt...wrong.
Since that naive experience I have come to realize the reason I felt odd using someone else's spell. It was not mine, and so lacked my personal power. Any spell found to be lacking in this will be ineffective. As a result, I much prefer writing my own spells and rituals to using those written by others. I would however recommend using the internet to thoroughly research about rituals and typical customs before trying to write them, and in the case of a spell, for any dieties you might wish to invoke or phrasing that may assist you better in acheiving the desired effect.
For those that are concerned at their ability, or lack thereof, to write rituals and spells, I believe that every one of us has the potential to be good at this. Part of Wicca is being able to form personal and open relationships with the God and the Goddess, and speaking to them from your heart, or in your own words, is one of the best ways to accomplish this. Best of luck. It will take time to get comfortable writing these types of things if you are not a writer or anything normally, but if you trust in yourself and in the God and Goddess, the right words will come.
Blessed be.
Misha Coplon
No comments:
Post a Comment