Sunday, February 12, 2012

Why Wicca?

In the process of beginning my conscious spiritual journey in Wicca, an important step for me has been to reveal my new choice and this new aspect of my self identity to those I care about. Invariably when doing so, the question I get first is "why?"

People choose to embrace Wicca for many reasons, too many to list or even to be aware of. However one of the most common is dissatisfaction with organized religion, particularly in the Western world. This was certainly true for me.

I don't know why, but I just never felt comfortable with Judaism, which is the religion I was raised in. The major reason for this was the emphasis, even in the less strict denominations, on praying in Hebrew. While Hebrew is a beautiful language, I always found it difficult to read or speak and never quite was satisfied with my religious experience as a result. My fiancee is Christian and so I tried that for some time, but still felt empty. Though services were participatory, I still felt powerless, like I was repeating the prayers simply because it was expected.

Another reason I have heard of is the desire to reclaim personal power, especially among those who come from troubled families or abusive relationships. I was emotionally, and occasionally physically abused by my parents from a young age. I was made to feel unloved and worthless, so that is how I viewed myself, even after I had removed myself from the situation at 18.

Faced with these issues I had nearly given up on spirituality altogether. Thanks to a wise teacher who introduced me to Wicca and helped me begin to understand the reasoning behind the Craft, my hope has been renewed. Wicca is a very personal religion and requires a willingness not only to learn about the deities and the traditions but about yourself. Why? In Wicca the self is the most important tool you have. Where organized religion might say we are incapable of accessing the divine simply because we are human, in Wicca not only does each practicioner have a direct relationship with gods and goddesses but is divine in and of themselves, thus our ability to perform magick and see real change. Thus we come into personal power and also find that element of self direction and relatability our religious lives had been missing previously.

This personal power can be a powerful healing agent once it is awakened, so it comes as no surprise to me that many who turn to Wicca have come from backgrounds where for whatever reason that power was compromised. When my first spell worked, a simple spell asking the God and Goddess for protection from negativity I felt immediately empowered and my self esteem went up astronomically. I was also filled with gratitude toward the God and Goddess. I was subsequently able to reclaim myself and also release my anger at those who had hurt me. The fear that prompted the anger, the fear that the power and self worth I had once had was gone forever, was gone and I could move forward.

I hope that gives those who want to know me better a better clue to who I am, and perhaps also the answer to why they or a loved one has been drawn to Wicca. Wicca is a very loving path and as more information is revealed in subsequent posts I would encourage you to partake of it.

Blessed be.

Misha Coplon.

No comments:

Post a Comment