Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Enjoy the Moment: An Ostara Lesson

Merry meet! I hope everyone is having a most pleasant Ostara.

For those of you still brushing up on the significance of the Sabbats, Ostara is the Spring Equinox. This Wiccan festival day is marked by the lengthening of daylight until day and night are equal, signaling the Sun King's growing strength.

Ostara is also all about balance. The length of daylight has already been discussed, but there are other things in balance too. The temperatures outside are becoming more mild, neither oppressively hot nor oppressively cold. Along with the night and day, masculine and feminine energies are at equilibrium.

I burn candles in my rituals as I feel that doing so brings me closer to the God and Goddess and allows us to communicate. In my Ostara ritual tonight, after setting out a circle of sunstone and moonstone, I lit a blue candle for the Goddess and a copper one for the God. The copper signifies the strength of the sun, and the blue signifies the water that balances the sun's fire, and the rebirth that occurs in nature with the coming of spring.

At first my candles did not burn, and I was somewhat alarmed, but a discussion with my mentor helped me to see that the slow pace of the burn was due to the God and Goddess telling me all was right in my world for the moment and I should enjoy the feeling of contentment rather than being out of sorts. Once I relaxed and began this blog post, they began burning normally.

Too often we do rituals because we feel as though there is an unspoken expectation that we will do so. When this happens, we simply go through the motions and the ritual becomes muddy and meaningless. Even if you feel a desire to simplify your rituals, for example, do so, for there is no requirement of large gatherings or opulence. A quiet simple ritual can be a thing of great beauty. If it makes you happy, so too will it be smiled upon by the God and Goddess. There is nothing to fear.

Blessed be.

Misha

No comments:

Post a Comment